Ming Zhong, PhD, P.Eng
Associate Professor of Civil Engineering
Office: GD-128, Gillin Wing, Head Hall
Phone: (506) 452-6324
Fax: (506) 453-3568
Introduction to Transportation Engineering
||Transportation Facility Design
||Transportation Planning and Modeling
|Spatial Economic Modelling for Integrated Land Use and Transportation Planning
||Geographic Information Systems for Transportation (GIS-T)
|| Urban Planning
B.A.Sc, CE, Tongji University, Shanghai, P.R. China - 1995
M.A.Sc., CE, Beijing Jiaotong University, Beijing, P.R. China - 1998
PhD, Transportation Engineering, University of Regina, Canada – 2003
- Land use and transportation interaction modeling.
- Travel behaviour analysis and travel demand forecasting.
- Traffic data programs/Data mining applications in traffic engineering.
- Applications of Intelligent Transportation Systems (ITS).
- Remote Sensing and GIS applications in transportation (GIS-T).
Professional Engineer of the Association of Professional Engineers and Geoscientists of New Brunswick (APEGNB), Since January 2007.
Associate Member of Institute of Transportation Engineers (ITE), 2001 - Present.
Member of Canadian Society of Civil Engineering (CSCE), 2002 – Present.
Member of International Society for Environmental Information Sciences (ISEIS), 2002 – Present.
Zhong, M. and Hunt, J.D. (2009). Exploring Best-fit Hazard Functions and Lifetime Regression Models for Urban Weekend Activities: A Case Study, Paper accepted for publishing on Journal of Transportation Engineering, (Submitted: March 2007, Acceptance: Oct. 26, 2009).
- Zhong, M. and Hanson, B.L. (2009) GIS based Travel Demand Modeling for Estimating Traffic on Low-class Roads, Journal of Transportation Planning and Technology, Vol. 32, No. 5, October 2009.
- Si, B.F., Zhong, M., Sun, H.J., Gao, Z.Y. (2009) Augmented network based passenger flow assignment model for urban transit system, Accepted by Science in China Series E: Technological Sciences.
- Zhong, M. and Sharma, S.C. (2009). Development of Improved Models for Imputing Missing Traffic Counts. The Open Transportation Journal, Vol. 3, pp. 35 – 48.
- Zhong, M., Hunt, J.D. and Lu, X.W. (2008). Studying the Differences of Household Weekend and Weekday Activities: A Duration Perspective. Journal of Transportation Research Record, No. 2054, Washington D.C., pp. 28 - 36.
- Si, B.F., Zhong, M., and Gao, Z.Y. (2008). Bi-level Programming for Evaluating Revenue Strategy of Railway Passenger Transport under Multi-mode Market Competition. Paper accepted for presentation at the 88th Transportation Research Board Annual Meeting, July 2008 and publishing in Transportation Research Record, Oct. 1st, 2008.
- Lingras, P.J., Zhong, M., Sharma, S.C. (2008). “Evolutionary Regression and Neural Imputations of Missing Values”. In Soft Computing Applications in Industry, B. Prasad (Ed.) 226, ISBN: 978-540-77464-8, pp. 151–163, Springer-Verlag Berlin Heidelberg, Feb. 14, 2008.
- Si, B.F., Zhong, M. and Z.Y. Gao (2008). Link Resistance Function in the Urban Mixed Traffic Network. Journal of Transportation Systems Engineering and Information Technology, 8(1), pp. 68 - 73, January 2008.
- Zhong, M. and Liu, G.X. (2007). Establish and Manage Jurisdiction-wide Traffic Monitoring Systems: North American Experiences, Published in Journal of Transportation Systems Engineering and Information Technology, 7(6), pp. 25-38, December 2007.
- Zhong, M., Sharma, S.C., and Lingras, P. (2007) “Rationalizing Reliable Imputation Durations of Genetically Designed Time Delay Neural Network and Locally Weighted Regression Models”. Journal of Transportation Planning and Technology, Vol. (30), No. 6, pp. 609 - 626.
- Zhong, M., Hunt, J.D., and Abraham, J.E. (2007) “Design and Development of a Statewide Land Use Transport Model for Alberta”, Journal of Transportation Systems Engineering and Information Technology, Vol. (7), No. 1, pp. 79-91.
- Zhong, M., Sharma, S.C. and Lingras, P. (2006). “Genetically-Designed Time Delay Neural Networks for Multiple-interval Urban Freeway Traffic Flow Forecasting”. Neural Information Processing - Letters and Reviews Vol. 10, Nos. 8-9, pp. 201-209, Aug.-Sept. 2006.
- Zhong, M.,and Sharma, S.C. (2006). “Matching Hourly, Daily, and Monthly Traffic Patterns for Estimating Missing Volume Data”. Transportation Research Record 1957, Transportation Research Board, Washington DC, pp. 32-42.
- Zhong, M., Sharma, S.C. and Lingras, P. (2006). “Matching Patterns for Updating Missing Values of Traffic Counts”. Journal of Transportation Planning and Technology, Vol. 29 (2), pp. 141-156.
- Zhong, M., Sharma, S.C. and Liu, Z.B (2006). “Assessing the Robustness of Imputation Models based on Data from Different Jurisdictions: Alberta and Saskatchewan Examples”. Transportation Research Record 1917, Transportation Research Board, Washington DC, pp. 116-126 (SCI & EI).
- Zhong, M. and Sharma, S.C. (2005). “Examining the Imputation Accuracy of Highway Agencies”. The Journal of ITE on the Web, Vol. 75, No. 6, pp. 77-81, June 2005 (SCI).
- Zhong, M., Sharma, S.C. and Lingras, P. (2005) “Refining Genetically Designed Models for Improved Traffic Prediction on Rural Roads”. Journal of Transportation Planning and Technology, Vol. 28 (3), pp. 213-236, June 2005 (SCI).
- Zhong, M., Sharma, S.C. and Lingras, P. (2005). “Short-term Traffic Prediction on Different Types of Roads with Genetically Designed Regression and Time Delay Neural Network Models”. Journal of Computing in Civil Engineering, Vol. 19, No. 1, the American Society of Civil Engineers, pp. 94-103, January 2005.
- Zhong, M., Sharma, S.C. and Lingras, P. (2004). “Genetically Designed Models for Accurate Imputations of Missing Traffic Counts”. Transportation Research Records 1879, Journal of Transportation Research Board, Washington DC, pp. 71-79, December 2004.
- Zhong, M. Sharma, S.C. and Lingras, P.J. (2004) “Analyzing the Performance of Genetically Designed Short-term Traffic Prediction Models based on Road Types and Functional Classes”, In Innovations in Applied Artificial Intelligence (Ed. By Orchard, B. et al.), Lecture Notes in Computer Science 3029, Springer Berlin/Heidelberg, New York, ISBN: 978-3-540-22007-7, pp. 1133 - 1145.
- Zhong, M., Lingras, P. and Sharma, S.C. (2004). “Estimation of Missing Traffic Counts Using Factor, Genetic, Neural, and Regression Techniques”. Transportation Research Part C: Emerging Technologies, No. 12, pp. 139-166.
- Sharma, S.C., Lingras, P. and Zhong, M. (2004). “Effect of Missing Values Estimations on Traffic Parameters”. The Journal of Transportation Planning and Technology, Vol. 27, No. 2, pp. 119 – 144.
- Lingras, P., Sharma, S.C. and Zhong, M. (2002). “Prediction of Recreational Travel using Genetically Designed Regression and Time Delay Neural Network Models”. Transportation Research Records 1805, Transportation Research Board, Washington, D.C. pp. 16-24.
[Civil Home] [CE Faculty & Staff] [CE Undergraduate Program] [CE Graduate Program ]
[CE Research Groups ] [Of
Special Interest ]
Revised April 2011 by M. Pollock